Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart wrote his Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, K. 478 in 1785. It is widely cosidered the first major piece composed for piano quartet in the chamber music repertoire: Mozart received a commission for three quartets in 1785 from Franz Hoffmeister, who later realized that this first quartet would be too difficult and that the public would not buy it, so he released Mozart from the obligation of completing the set. (Nine months later, Mozart composed a second quartet anyway, K. 493). At the time the piece was written, the harpsichord was still widely used, though stylistic evidence suggests Mozart intended the piano part for "the 'Viennese' fortepiano of the period. The work is in three movement, and calls for violin, viola, cello, and piano. It is also available in an arrangement for string quintet.